Over the past year, I have had to help about 50 web sites that had been hacked into. There are many possible reasons for a web site being hacked, but one of the mmost common reasons is that the site is behind on security updates.
The danger of not keeping Joomla up-to-date
Once they have setup a great Joomla web site, many web site owners assume that they do not need to do any more to the web site - 'it is working well now, what could possibly go wrong?' they think.
However, a web site that works well now can be a security nightmare in a years time. Hackers are constantlly searching the internet looking for web sites with known vulnerabilities. Once they find one, they are quick to striek, and try to use your hacked web site to:
- Infect site users with viruses
- Send out spam emails
- Create links to spammy / illegal web sites
- Trick users into submitting their bank details
How to keep your Joomla web site up-to-date with security patches
Joomla 2.5, Joomla 3 and newer versions has a built in update system which is easy to use. However, you need to be careful that you:
- Don't upgrade to the next major Joomla release without having prepared for it first. A major upgrade like this is complicated, and doing it without having prepared is likely to break your web site design.
- Keep up to date with the latest minor releases and updates for your version (i.e. version 2.5 or 3.1) as they are released
We can help install Joomla security updates for you!
Why worry about trying to keep your site up-to-date? Being Joomla professionals, we can help you:
- Install security updates
- Ensure timely backups are run
- Keep an eye on your site for any suspicious activity
We offer this Joomla update service for only $45 AUD per year.
Please contact us today if you are interested.